You’ve Made the Difficult Decision To File for Social Security Disability Benefits but How Do You Go About Doing It?
There are three different ways to start the Social Security Disability claims application:
- Go online at ssa.gov.
- Visit your local Social Security Disability field office.
- Call them on the phone.
Which one is right for you? It really depends on your personal circumstances. If you can’t get to the local Social Security Disability office we suggest that you apply online or by phone.
However, we think the wiser choice is to visit the local Social Security Disability field office if you are able and if you are prepared with the following:
- A list of all of your medical providers and their addresses.
- Copies of your medical records.
- A list of all your employers for the last 15 years.
- A copy of a list of your medications.
That sounds like a lot of work! Yes, it is and you need to have that information ready and prepared before you apply either by phone or online.
You can order Tampa Bay Cavey and Barrett’s Social Security Disability book Your Rights to Social Security Disability and it will explain this process.