How to Find Low Cost Health Care Options if You Are On Short or Long Term Disability Benefits
It is not uncommon for short and long term disability applicants to lose, at some point, their group health insurance coverage when they are terminated by their employer. It is important that you get medical care not only for the treatment of your disabling condition or you are generally required by the terms of the disability policy to prove on going treatment. If you find yourself uninsured and unable to afford health care while you are collecting long term disability benefits, you should consider the following low cost health care options:
- Enroll in community health centers. There are many community health centers in the Tampa Bay area that are fee based so that you can pay only what you can’t afford based on your income.
- Free clinics. Free clinics in the St. Petersburg and Tampa provide prescription medication for free or at low costs to individuals who are uninsured.
- Hospitals. Hospitals will allow you to receive free or low cost medical care that the Florida State Health Department will provide you with the location of the facilities in the Tampa Bay area.
- Social Service agencies. Did you know that social service agencies or religious based groups in Clearwater, Tampa, St. Petersburg may have emergency funds available to help you with medications. You should be in contact with United Way, Salvation Army and Good Will for more information.
- Financial Assistance from government programs and non-profit organizations. If you have a specific disease like fibromyalgia, you can look for government programs and non profit organizations that will help you with chronic disease. The National Institute of Health website features links .