The Social Security claims process is all about paperwork, regardless of whether you apply in person, by phone or online.
You will need these documents:
- Birth certificate,
- Marriage certificate or divorce decree,
- Copy of your Social Security card,
- W-2 form or IRS 1040 and Schedule C and SE, if self-employed, from the previous year,
- Military service discharge information, if applicable,
- Checking or savings account number and bank routing number, if you want direct deposit of your Social Security check.
You will have to fill out more forms. Frst, a “Disability Application,” which requests your name, address, Social Security number, marital status and dates of employment. Your employment history is crucial because the Social Security Administration will determine at Step 4 of the Five-Step Sequential Evaluation process whether you can go back to the lightest job you held in the 15 years before you became disabled. Giving an accurate employment history and the physical requirements of those jobs is key to establishing you meet Step 4.
You also will have to complete a “Disability Report,” which requires detailed information about your medical condition and treatment. The form is simple, but many applicants discount or forget about other medical conditions that, individually or in combination, can entitle one to disability benefits.
The “Disability Report” asks for detailed information about:
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of all your medical providers,
- Names of the medicines you are taking and the prescribing physicians,
- Names and dates of the medical testing you have had,
- Specific job titles, dates of employment and job duties, and
- Information about any workers’ compensation claims you have made.
It’s Time to Get Help
The paperwork can be overwhelming and downright discouraging. Contact Social Security Disability attorney Nancy L. Cavey, who can answer all your questions and help you fill out the Initial Application, Disability Application and Disability Report. Get help from a lawyer who specializes in getting these benefits!