How Does the Government Shutdown Affect My Disability Claim?
Many have wondered how the Government Shutdown will affect their disability claims. While the shutdown will limit the services that the Social Security Administration (SSA) will offer, the good news is they will continue to make payments as scheduled.
The SSA will remain open for the following functions:
- Applications for benefits
- Requesting an appeal
- Changing your address or direct deposit information
- Accepting reports of death
- Verifying or changing your citizenship
- Replacing lost or missing Social Security Payment
- Issuing a critical payment
- Changing a representative payee
- Processing a change in your living arrangement or income (SSI only)
- The hearing office will remain open
- All on line services will remain open
This means the Social Security claims process is not effected in any way during a government shutdown. While the situation is subject to change due to the congressional stalemate on budget and debt negotiations, we at The Law Office of Nancy L. Cavey continue to work with the Social Security Administration on claims and do not foresee any problems.
If you are a currently receiving SSD benefits or are thinking of applying for social security disability, the shutdown will not affect that. Contact us for aid in pursuing a claim for social security disability benefits.
Cheryl PayneJanuary 14, 2019 at 11:30 pm
My claim was in decision process a few days before the shut down. Is this what is holding lives up.
Nancy CaveyJanuary 22, 2019 at 9:27 am
We are unsure what specifically is happening in your claim – but use the above information to help you! If you have any questions please call us at 727-894-3188 – we are here to help.