Coleman’s Way of Life – Coleman’s ProCat Heater Severly Burns 7 Year Old During California Camping Trip | Lakeland Disability Benefits Attorney
Did you know that over 100 years ago, W.C. Coleman, “a young man with a better idea began manufacturing lanterns” founded what is today known as “Coleman:The Outdoor Company”. Coleman makes “products that make spending time outside a pleasure.”
Coleman’s website has a company history that extolls the virtue of Coleman and how “Coleman became a way of life in America.”
As a camper and a hiker, I have used many Coleman products but no more!
On a camping trip in December 2005, Trevor Daniels, then 7, was camping with his family in Califronia. His family had bought a Model 5053 ProCat PefecTemp Coleman propane heater and had it in their camping trailer to keep the trailer warm.
This heater, according to the reviews at mySimon.com is “specially made to provide a reliable flameless heat source for use inside tents, campers, and ice-fishing shacks and during home emergencies.” The heater was sold with a picture of a Mom holding a baby in her lap with an bold statement the heater was safe for indoor use.
That evening the heater malfunctioned and the camping trailer, with Trevor inside, burst into flames. Trevor survived the fire but he has horrendous and extensive burns over much of his body.
Trevor’s Mom and Dad have sued Coleman and asked that Coleman release documents that may show Coleman knowingly violated California statue, Health and Safety Code Section 19881. Coleman said, “NO!” but a California Judge told them to give Trevor’s lawyers, Bisnar Chase, the documents. Coleman said “NO!” again and appealed the decision to the California Court of Appeals who heard arguments on Tuesday, May 19, 2009.
Don’t you think Mr. Coleman would have released those documents and tried to help a 7 year old and his family recover from this tragedy. Mr. Coleman would have been that bright light for Trevor and the Daniels family. Too bad Coleman has not lived up to it’s founder’s vision. Coleman has betrayed “a way of life in America” and Trevor Daniels.
Binsar Chase, a California products liability law firm, has beome the “sunshine of the night” for the Daniels family that Coleman would have you believe they are to all Americans. How sad!
Answering these broad-based questions isn’t easy. Help is a phone call away. For more information you can contact Nancy Cavey, an experienced long-term disability attorney at 727-894-3188.